CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, December 13, 2008

In preparation for our trip to Mexico, I plan on going to the Dollar Tree to load up on goodies for Jose's family. I plan on spending $50-$75 and buying the kind of little things that might brighten their day a little. I'm thinking disposable razors, coloring books, crayons, puzzles, lotions, Tupperware, little knick knacks, dish towels, photo albums, picture frames, etc. etc.

LoL, I know that sounds very CHEAP of me, but I think its a really good idea. Of course I plan on buying some things for his brothers and sisters, but this way I could make sure I have something for everyone!

My Dad is very upset about the whole Mexico thing. He watches lots of TV and movies and is terrified that drug smugglers are going to kidnap us. To be honest, the first time we drove down there I was terrified myself. I had heard many horror stories and had listen to my Dad talk about his trip down there a bazillion times. Once we were actually in Mexico, I couldn't believe the hype. It seemed, to me, like driving down a highway in a rural area of the USA.

Jose did tell me if we had not taken the cuota the entire way that things would have been a little scarier.

We DID get stopped quite a few times by the federales. Our truck was a tad on the flashy side, so I think it made them suspicious. They would have us all get out and they would let the dogs sniff around the truck while they poked around the stuff we had in the pack of the pickup. After they checked things out, though, they would thank us for our patience and let us on our way!

:)

I'll be back later to blog some more... ADIOS.

6 comments:

Not anymore said...

I love dollar tree that is a fabulous idea. I used go to dollar tree all the time, and when I visted I did the same thing..

Dollar tree rocks!

When are you coming to Mexico?

3LittleFlowers said...

The dollar gifts are an awesome idea!!!!! Way to go!!!!

chicadedios25 said...

The gifts will be much needed I presume.....if Jose's family is anything like the one I spent my time with.

Your dad does have some reason for concern. The violence in Mexico has escalated mucho within the past few years. I was just reading an article this morning about the abductions in Mexico being at an all time high and now they are kidnapping wealth,middle class,and poor people as well....they say the are offering ransom for as little as $500 a person. Calderon is trying to do something about it by giving the death penalty to the kidnappers.

Just be careful....our crazy parents (mine told me that the offer I got to teach at a bilingual school in Honduras was a hoax and that I would be sold into a brothel...true story)are sometimes more tuned into global issues than we are.

Liz said...

Heather - I love the Dollar Tree, too!!! :) This year, I found some AWESOME nativity scene pieces (Joseph, Mary, the wise men, etc) for my suegra. She was thrilled, and they were so nice and cheap! :)

Anelys - My mom gave me the idea. :) I asked Jose what he thought this morning and he agreed about it being a good idea. :)

Mandy (I think I got that right!) - today there was an article in the paper about people buying bullet proof vests in border towns in order to keep themselves safe. That article has my dad all in an uproar again!! I've been researching a lot on safety in driving through Mexico, and this will be the third time in 2 years that we make the drive down there. We'll just try to be safe and take every necessary precaution that we can! :)

bordersaside said...

Geess Im so far behind. :) Just thinking of Dollar tree makes me want to buy a plane ticket. lol
Honestly the border towns are scary but further down here its not that big of a deal. I know thats prob hard for your dad to understand though. My mom was totaly freaked out about us moving here but I sent her to the US gov website which is a lot more realistic about what is going on down here. Its for tourists to read up on where they are going. Ill try to find it again and you can have your dad check into Jalisco. It helped my mom and may help him. Ill try to e-mail it to you when I find it.

Liz said...

Amanda - If I were to move down to Mexico, I would miss the Dollar Tree! :) When Jose's mom came to live with us, she was in complete awe of the Dollar Tree. We walked around and every couple of minutes she would ask me how much something was and I'd keep telling her EVERYTHING IS A DOLLAR! LOL! :)