CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 15, 2008

Our previous trip to Mexico...

I've talked about my trip to Mexico many times! I apologize if it is getting a bit repetitive. :)

Our last trip to Mexico was in the summer of 2007. It was one of those things where we didn't even know we were going until a couple days before we left! Jose's mom had been itching to go home, I was whining that I wanted to go visit, and Jose's niece was going to have her Quinceneanera. We left around 3pm on Sunday, July 8th and for the life of me I can't remember when we arrived down there!! Isn't that crazy? I don't even remember if it was night or day!

The drive was a tad on the long side. The worst part was the drive from Omaha, Nebraska down to Laredo, Texas. I think its around a 16 hour drive! By the time we reached Kansas City (less than 3 hours from Omaha) Olivia ended up getting car sick. Holy cow... This kid puked every 30 minutes until we reached Laredo. She wasn't SICK. She was laughing and playing in between vomiting episodes. We debated on whether or not to turn around and go home, but we pressed on. About an hour south of Kansas City we stopped at a Wal-Mart and I bought 6 bottles of Pedialyte, so we just made sure to get liquids in her.

Once in Laredo, (I remember this part - it was 8am on Monday morning!) we stopped at McDonalds. One of those with a play area for the kids. LoL, Olivia had long since puked on every single stitch of clothing I had packed in the little bag to carry with us in the cab of the truck. This was our only option:


LoL, that's not the best picture in the world, but you get the idea. That was taken right outside of the McDonalds. LoL, and yes, that is one of Jose's T-Shirts on her. We fashioned a wannabe dress out of it, and I tightened in the back with a scrunchie. Cute, huh? :) LoL, and I just realized when making the picture bigger you can see she has a handful of Doritos!

We were in Laredo about 2 hours. We went and exchanged dollars to pesos. We had breakfast. Me and Jose's mom went to K-Mart AND Wal-Mart. I bought Olivia some more suitable clothes and my suegra bought herself shoes. :) After about one hour getting permits and such at the border, we were officially IN MEXICO!

Once in Mexico, the drive turns quite interesting! At least for me it does!! Me and my suegra were STARVING after about an hour, but Jose refused to stop at any of the little roadside restaurants, saying that we would not want to eat the food they were serving. We ended up at a little gas station where I loaded up on cookies and soda and chips! LOL! Oh, yeah, and sandwiches! They sold some damned good sandwiches.

Of course, once in Mexico Olivia stopped puking. And then it was Isabel's turn!! She was a little older and could tell us when she was going to puke. We would pull over to the side of the road and let her do her business and then back on the road!

We were stopped several times by the Mexican soldiers. Our truck (2005 Ford F-150 - White with super dark tinted windows and 22 inch wheels) was drawing us negative attention. At every checkpoint they would signal for us to get over. We would all get out of the truck while they poked around out stuff and let the dogs give it a good sniff. After a few minutes they would thank us for cooperating and we were free to go. LOL - at one of the checkpoints the soldier told us to leave the baby in the car - para que no le fuera a dar aigre.

Olivia (just barely two years old at the time), looks at this guy square in the eye and goes, "Chinga tu madre!" (Thanks to her Tios she had a rather colorful vocabulary at that age!)

This soldier got so flustered he could barely speak. He started waving his arms and insisted that it would be better off if we did, in fact, remove the baby from the car. Ooops!

We stopped again in Matehuala, San Luis Potosi. This isn't too far from Jose's house! A couple ofhours maybe? We all got out and headed into a small, VERY clean resteraunt. I had some of the best gosh darned tacos I've ever had in my entire life!! Oh my gosh, my mouth is watering just remembering! Once we were done eating, we drove straight through to Lagos De Moreno! WE HAD ARRIVED!!

Here are some pictures from our stay down there. I'm getting so excited!!! :)

Here is a shot of the girls playing in the dirt. They were thrilled with all the dirt!!

From left to right - Cece, Isabel, Sergito, and Jasmin. I'm a watermelon fanatic and that was one of many watermelons I bought to enjoy while down there!

This is Sergito playing in a little stream that runs not too far from Jose's house. LoL, he was laughing because he wasn't supposed to be in the water and I was promising what his mom didn't know wouldn't hurt her!!

This is Olivia and two of Jose's Uncle's children. The little girl is Jimena and the little boy is Diego. That was at Jose's Aunt's 25th Anniversary celebration, the day before we came home. Look how dark Olivia is! :)

This is at Jose's grandparent's house. Behind the girls is Jose's Tia Olivia. LoL, she is scolding the dogs for not leaving me and the kids alone! Jimena and Isabel are enjoying a Chiquitin.

This is a picture of the girls at the Jardin in downtown Lagos De Moreno. LoL, if you click on the picture you can see Isabel's Chivas socks!

And this is one of the many beautiful churches in Lagos! At night it is lit up with Christmas lights and is super beautiful!

I can't wait to get down there and get more pictures!!!

Take care!

4 comments:

Not anymore said...

Those are some great pictures, I really enjoyed reading that story, thank you. I hope you come back with ton's of new pictures. Now if Only I could get my videos to upload and I could show some funny stuff here in PV.

Traciy Curry-Reyes said...

Great pics. I cannot wait until we go to Mexico to visit. I would love to see the country in person.

bordersaside said...

Your girls are so cute. I hope they dont get as sick this time. Alana loves the dirt also. Today as a matter of fact right after her bath she was begging to go outside and play with the rocks and dirt.

Liz said...

Heather - I would love to see the videos! I hope you can get them uploaded. :)

T - Thanks for commenting! I love Mexico. Its such a beautiful country and is soooo different than the USA! Every time I go, I end up dreaming about it for months!

Amanda - I'm hoping and praying that they don't get car sick this time! That was not fun! :)